Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Sitting in Starbucks I see lots of Asians. . .

I see an older Asian man with a red zippered Bible unzipped and open.  He is listening to a young boy reading from a smaller Bible.  When he stops the man talks - looks like he's explaining to the boy in Korean?  Chinese? Language???

Also in Starbucks same day, I see young Asian lady wearing her hair in a ponytail--her head bowed concentrating on showing/explaining with her pen and her words the corrections she's made to a young asian 15 year old boy's paper.  The boy is paying close attention occasional saying or asking something.  It's impossible for me to know which.  There is a musical instrument in its black case leaning against a chair.  Acopy of a book with the word Barron across the front lay on the table.  

Last night here in the same L.E.S. Starbucks I saw a young Asian girl ?14 wearing a white cap and gown.  A woman, her mother, I presume, was snapping the girl's picture.  I said, making eye contact with the girl, CONGRATULATIONS!  They both smiled.  The girl was slumped.  I resisted the temptation to say "Sit up straight."  Instead I minded my own business as my mother use to say frequently.  I checked my own posture.  I sat up straight.

I'm seeing a Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother moment, I realize.  I love it!!  Do you know the book? I Love It!!

I'm not crazy about generalities but I lived in Chinatown/Little Italy/Orchard Street Shopping area community for 25+ years and I couldn't help but notice how positive the asians I observed live their lives.  And how the parents and grandparents invest time energy money know how in their children.  I love it!! 

Alexander and I did a short iMovie then put it on YouTube at the mainstreaming clues channel.  In it we're having a Yard Sale.  I chat briefly with a hard working Mexican young man (I saw lots of hard working positive Mexican men in that neighborhood near the east village).  As I stood there before buy wares the adults walked past as though I wasn't there.  The children took notice and commented.  One little boy pulled on his mom and she an American black lady bought something, a deck of cards.   Just before we stopped filming I said on camera, the immigrants and the very young who are alert--together we will save America. GOD I so hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment